Saturday, October 15, 2011

Email: One day you'll learn...

First off, before you make a website dedicated to bashing the people who are trying to make a difference in YOUR generation, do some research and really learn what it is that you're speaking out against. The Occupiers are not a bunch of dirty hippies without jobs. I completely side with them and what they're fighting for and I am a productive member of society, as the majority of them are.

I'm 20 years old. I've been working since I was 14 and have earned everything that I own on my own. I've owned two cars and bought them both myself. In addition to working my two minimum wage jobs, I'm also a full time student. I am not getting a degree in biology (if everyone in college was going to school for biology, guess who wouldn't be able to find a job upon graduation...) or "bitter women's studies." I spent a year at community college, with saving money in mind and earned scholarships, and now attend a moderately-priced university. But I had to take out student loans because it is impossible to fully pay a college tuition on minimum wage. I am terrified at the prospect of not being able to find a job when I graduate because even the most hardworking people can get screwed. You and your family are not above anyone else for working hard and living within your means. Many other people do and aren't lucky enough to live as comfortably as you do.

I'm hardworking and so are my parents. They've taught me how to fend for myself and to think for myself, which your parents apparently didn't do. One day you'll grow up and learn to think for yourself as opposed to believing and feeling the same way that your parents do. One day you'll learn to understand the economy and really know what the Occupiers are protesting. One day you'll realize that you are a part of the 99%. Hopefully it doesn't involve you going into debt or losing a job, but it might. You are not invincible.

...unless of course your parents spoil you and you don't learn to earn anything yourself. Then that's even less admirable than "crapping in alleys."

As for you people egging this middle schooler on, unless you are also in middle school (in which case, go back to Webkinz or whatever the kids these days are on) then it is appalling that you would share such narrow-minded ideas. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be in the same place as you, and with such a rocky economy, with pink slips being handed out like candy and with the stock market going up and down more than a rollercoaster, you could be in a "hippie's" place tomorrow.